Thursday, October 6, 2022

EOTO (Learned): The first motion pictures

 While listening to everyone's presentations I started to think about how much I don't know about technology and the history of some of the things we take for granted on a daily basis. This began to fascinate me. Take movies for example, within the last 100 years the film industry has gone from non-existent to a multi-trillion dollar industry with thousands if not hundreds of thousands of options to watch and enjoy. I love movies, the stories that get brought to the big screen always fascinated me growing up.  So when the topic of movies came up I became very interested and wanted to learn as much as I could.

The evolution of motion pictures begins in 1834 with William Homer and the Zoetrope which used the illusion generated by a spinning movement to make the image look as though it was moving. Eventually the technology moved on and advanced more and in 1891 William Dickson and Thomas Edison invented the Kinetoscope. 



The device allowed the user to insert a coin and start a movie to be viewed through the peephole located at the top. The device did surprisingly well even though it was basic in nature. This device would kick-start the movie revolution at the turn of the 20th century. Due to the success of the Kinetoscope movies would go on to be viewed by trillions for generations onward. 

I find it interesting that one device can change the course of humanity so dramatically. To think that there were once people who couldn't view the movies we take for granted nowadays.  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

 Final Post What does technology mean to me? That's the question I've been facing recently. Over the last couple of months and even ...